Vintage retro art posters continue to be popular items for collectors or casual art lovers. These art posters originally were created to inform the public about news, entertainment or to advertise products. Prices for these posters vary greatly depending on who the artist is, the condition and the rarity of the vintage poster. Popular posters for collectors include travel posters, retro advertising posters, Chinese propaganda posters and theatrical posters.
Of course you don't need to be a serious collector to enjoy vintage retro art posters. These art posters are visually appealing to most
people and are a great way of adding character and uniqueness to today's homes. They shouldn't be displayed only in art galleries and since they're available in many price ranges, there's no need to. So enjoy finding and owning art posters. In order to ensure you preserve and enjoy your posters for many years to come, you'll want to follow a few guidelines.
* When you do purchase a vintage retro art poster do consider having it professionally framed. These posters require special attention to framing in order to ensure preservation.
* Hang your vintage poster away from direct sunlight, as it will fade or change the colors in your print.
* Do not mount an art display light directly over your art poster. Use spotlights placed several feet away from the poster.
* Most collectibles prefer the same environment that people do, that being a space that is neither too cold, too hot, too wet or too dry. Try to avoid exposing your posters to extremes in temperatures.
* If you needed another reason to stop smoking here it is. Cigarette smoke and fireplace smoke will damage most art pieces. For regular dust, cleaning gently with a cloth is okay but never use detergents. Also for heavier dust or dirt accumulation, take your art poster to a profession art restorer.
* Don't forget children and pets. They don't have the same respect for vintage art as we do, so make sure your posters are not easily accessible to them. Heaven forbid Fido decides your vintage Guinness art poster makes a good chew snack.
I hope you enjoy collecting vintage retro art posters and stop buying mass produced, department store prints. Not only will you have a unique, beautiful piece of art but you'll also have a piece of history. Most retro art posters have an interesting background story. I encourage you to investigate the development or history of any posters you own. Enjoy your vintage retro art posters for its visual design and a look back at olden times gone by.